Flipped Classroom ‘Better Osteoarthritis Management’
Speaker: Stuart Carmichael
Osteoarthritis management is frustrating! Even though osteoarthritis is present in many of our patients, causing chronic pain and mobility disorders, we often have no good sustainable strategy for management and, as a result, many clinical patients remain poorly treated or not treated at all. Various reasons exist to explain this situation but it mainly stems from a poor general understanding of the disease and the available management options.
It is widely accepted that adopting a multimodal approach to the disease, using a combination of treatments together, is much more likely to produce success both in the long term as well as short term. However, this does require a level of planning and organisation to deliver this in the clinic. This can be a real block to progress in this area.
Better Osteoarthritis Management will provide you with a cutting-edge of understanding of the disease and new tools to deliver multimodal management plans within the practice set-up. Pre-congress study will allow participants to skill up on the background knowledge and understanding of OA using the VetVisuals Learning Management System (LMS). The workshops will then concentrate on the process of creating plans and discussing management using different pre-prepared clinical case examples. Each participant will create their own plans by using the tools previously identified and will be introduced to, and get the chance to use, a new digital management support system for OA management.
Participants to ‘Better Osteoarthritis Management’ will
- Gain a better understanding of the disease and how it is producing problems
- Understand how to identify these and target them with treatment
- Learn how to make multimodal management work
- Be introduced to new tools which make multimodal planning easier
- Develop the practical skills to introduce long term strategies for management
- Gain new strategies for dealing with problem cases
- Be able to create a functional OA clinic in their practice
Outline of session
Pre-Congress Learning (VetVisuals LMS)
- Understanding OA- a functional guide for the practitioner
- Principles of Management explained
- Exercise in building Multimodal plans using template
- Creating personal toolbox
- Case Example at d0; d32; m6
- Examining a patient with OA
- Session 1 – Preparing
- Identifying different Modes for treatment (Aim.OA template)
- Introduce Aim-OA.Sys
- Personal toolbox discussion
- Set up system
- Case Example 1 – data collection
- Session 2
- Case Example 1 – plan generation
- Case Example 2 – Data collection and planning
Both sessions will be presented by Professor Stuart Carmichael BVMS, MVM, DSAO, MRCVS.
The Pre-Congress Learning part is free to all VetVisuals-members!